Donald Duck Wants You! Disney Video on Pop Control Distributed by Planned Parenthood
A 1968 Disney propaganda cartoon featuring Donald Duck encourages families in the developing world to have fewer children. The cartoon “Planificacion Familiar” (“Family Planning”) was created by Disney for the Population Council, one of the chief promoters of population control, and is being distributed by the Chilean affiliate of Planned Parenthood, Associacion Chilena de Protection de la Familia (APROFA), for home and educational viewing throughout the Spanish speaking world.
APROFA is selling the video in a set which includes a Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) cartoon entitled “Felices Familias Planeadas” (“Happy Family Planning”), and an APROFA educational video called “La Confianza No Es Un Metodo” (“Hope is Not a Method”).
“Family Planning” begins with Donald Duck, a well-known and loved children’s figure, opening a kit of reproductive health supplies that also contains oil paints and an easel. Using the paints he illustrates rapid population growth and ensuing starvation. “The world is overpopulated,” a narrator declares. “With every generation, the population is growing too fast .… Let’s say in time that this couple will have more children.… The mother is unhappy, weak and sick. The children will be sickly too.… But this situation can change.”
From his reproductive health supply kit, Donald Duck brandishes a golden key, and declares that “Science gives us the key for a new personal freedom: family planning!”
We wonder if anyone at Disney considered how children would react to the sight of their favorite duck declaiming on the dangers of overpopulation? How many children have felt guilty when they learned that they and their siblings were the cause of their mothers being “sickly and sad,” or grew anxious over the suggestion that they may “starve” and their families may grow “impoverished”? Children all too readily blame themselves for the misfortunes of others, a characteristic the video seeks to exploit.
At the end of “Family Planning,” a menacing Donald Duck points at the viewer and (through a narrator) says: “We are all responsible for humanity and that means you too!”
Patty Gadomski of Disney Educational Productions confirmed that Disney created the Donald Duck “Family Planning” cartoon. She said it sold well in Third World countries, but went out of production in 1988 because of decreased demand.
Gadomski added that APROFA is in violation of copyright law for reproducing and marketing the video, and for marketing the accompanying video “Happy Family Planning” as a Disney product.
“Happy Family Planning” markets condoms, IUDs, the pill and other methods of birth control in the Chinese, French, Spanish, English and Arabic languages. A close examination of the credits reveal that “Happy Family Planning” was made by PPFA in cooperation with the Wyeth Institute, the manufacturer of Norplant.
The APROFA video contains animations of the sexual act. It also contains live footage of two adults encouraging an adolescent audience to avoid pregnancy by practicing non-genital sex instead of coitus.
Gadomski described APROFA’s use of the Disney name and video as ‘“a serious no-no” and said Disney’s attorneys would be in contact with APROFA to stop the violation.
PRI’s conversation with Disney took place in the first week of June. As of this writing, Disney has yet to contact APROFA to end their alleged copyright violation. Copyright violations aside, pro-family groups in the US, most notably the American Family Association (AFA), have long-since criticized Disney because of its “assault on Christian values.”1 AFA reports that its boycott of Disney has been followed by a 41% drop in sales of Disney merchandise and videos.2
Bill Nye the ‘Science Guy’
Disney’s promotion of “family planning” did not end with the discontinuation of the Donald Duck video. A video produced by Disney Educational Productions in 1996 propagandizes public elementary school kids about the “need” for population control. “Populations” features Bill Nye the “Science Guy,” and opens with a shot of an overcrowded room. A mock ad — for “New, Improved ‘Populax’ — for those times when you’re feeling overpopulated”3 — then appears. A disturbed looking Bill Nye asks what “a colony of ants, a swarm of bees… and a crowd of people” all have in common. “We’re all populations!”
The 26 minute montage of pop control propaganda conveys a student’s experiment of exponential plant growth analogously applied to human population. “Populations usually keep other populations under control,” the child explains. However, the human population continues to grow exponentially.
In a frenetic scene change, another youngster (dressed up like a beekeeper) declares: “You have to control population, so it doesn’t get overpopulated.”
Nye declares that “The human population is growing very fast. If we keep doubling it, it gets unimaginably huge, more and more until we’ve got … billions of people living on the planet earth. When I was in fourth grade, there were about three billion people living on earth. Now there are almost six billion.” In a statement tailored to make fourth graders, the intended audience of the video, despise their fellow man, Bill Nye says: “And by the time people in the fourth grade now are my age, there could be 12 or 15 billion. You see how fast populations can increase?”
What follows is a quick shift to a shot of bacteria multiplying in a petri dish. “Just how fast do colonies of bacteria grow? Some have doubling times of 20 minutes,” says a narrator.
“As the human population begins to grow,” says Bill Nye “we’re taking more and more space, the space of other populations, we’re destroying their habitats .… In order to keep this from happening, we have to respect other populations. They live here too, you know. Ya' know?!”
The video draws toward its conclusion with a shot of a sweaty Nye racing through a crowded inner-city. “Populations compete for places to live, for things to eat. It’s getting harder to compete with the human population. The amounts of resources, the amounts of energy used by humans is huge. The US uses more energy than all the other populations of the world combined. So all populations are going to be limited by the [lack of] resources.”
The video ends on an apocalyptic note: “We have to find a way to restrict the rate of growth of the human population. Otherwise, it’s going to get out of control. There won’t be enough for everyone to eat. It’s going to be hard for everyone. [Fade to black.] Where’s everybody going?”
“Populations” was made for use in public schools in collaboration with the National Science Foundation, Rabbit Ears Productions, and KCTS 9 Public Television, Seattle.
Meanwhile, allegations of the Disney Corporation forcibly contracepting employees in Haitian sweatshops surfaced during a C-SPAN presentation by Anita Roddick, founder and CEO of the Body Shop, a worldwide natural cosmetic franchise. Roddick cited a recent report of Disney “sweatshops” in Haiti conducted by investigators of National Labor Committee, a labor/human rights watchdog group. “When we saw the conditions of the… Haitian places where they make your sacred cow Disney products,” Roddick said, “and you saw the women being lined up and being forced to have contraceptive pills, or being injected [with Depro Provera]… working inside locked environments,”4 the reputation of Disney can be further questioned, and steps must be taken to stop the abuses.
1 American Family Association, “Why Boycott?,” 1 June 1999, http://www.afa.net/afajournal/1999/may/boycott.htm.
2 American Family Association, “Disney income plummets again,” 1 June 1999, http://www.afa.net/afajournal/1999/june/Disney/htm.
3 Disney Educational Productions, “Populations,” 1996.
4 C-Span, “Business and Social Responsibility,” 2 February 1999; cf. National Labor Committee, “Young Women in Free Trade Zones Injected with Depro Provera: National Labor Committee Calls for an Investigation,” Press Release, 17 November 1999.
For more articles, click the first link in each drop-down menu, e.g. 2010 (v12).
- Weekly Briefing: Español
- La próxima batalla legislativa: el Proyecto de Ley sobre la toma de conciencia sobre el dolor
- ¿La legalización reduciría el aborto en América Latina?
- Las interrogantes de la demografía actual
- Informe de los Medios de Comunicación: Depo Provera es peligrosa para su salud.
- Canadá: una sorpresa ingrata
- Enfermeras dan el ejemplo: renuncian para no distribuir la Píldora del Día Siguiente a
- Ampliación de la Noticia: La desaparición del matrimonio
- Recordando a Reagan
- Population Research Institute expande su actividad; incorporándose en la fundación de
- Frenando la Expansión del HIV/SIDA mediante la Abstinencia (y la Doctrina Católica)
- Los Programas de Planificación Familiar de USAID merman los esfuerzos para frenar la promiscu
- Weekly Briefing: 2013 (v15)
- Infanticide in America
- North Dakota and Kansas pave the way for Pro-life Legislation
- The Fight to Stop Population Control in Philippines Continues
- Marie Stopes and the Charade of “Post-Abortion Care”
- In Francis, the Catholic Church has a Pope for Life
- Who’s Behind India’s Barbaric Mega Sterilization Camps?
- Planet of the Apes
- Benedict XVI, Defender of Life and Family
- Heartbeat Movement Picks Up Steam
- The People-Haters Are At It Again
- Europe as We Know It is Dying
- The Inter-American Court of Human Rights Condones Killing Unborn Children in Latin America
- “We’re not in Kansas Anymore, Toto” (But We Should Be)
- New Title X Amendment Would Cut Planned Parenthood Funding
- Weekly Briefing: 2012 (v14)
- Will Russia Come Back to Life?
- China's one-child policy itself leads to forced abortions
- Why is Government (and Society) Discouraging Childbearing?
- UNICEF Should Rename Itself the United Nations Sex for Children Fund, or UNISEX
- America’s Pediatricians Claim the Right to Contracept Your Kids
- The Mirena IUD is Becoming More Popular - and the Lawsuits are Piling Up
- America's Depressed Birthrate
- Question: What Can we Expect From a Second Obama Administration on the Life Issues?
- Attending the Abortionists’ Annual Pep Rally
- Norplant is Back--Under a Different Name
- Sorry, Mr. Vice President, That Is Not a "Fact"
- Teenage Girl Becomes Infertile after Gardasil Vaccination
- The Contradiction of WHO
- Is Abortion Ever “Necessary?” The Evidence Says “No!”
- Of Mice and Men: New Study Touts a Male Contraceptive
- Weekly Briefing: 2011 (v13)
- Merry Christmas from PRI
- T-Shirts Are Available NOW!
- Catholic Health Care in Jeopardy
- Ban Sex Selective Abortions in the U.S.
- Pro-Life Amendment Defeated in Pro-Life Mississippi
- Baby Seven Billion, Welcome.
- Lies, Damned Lies, Statistics ... and Population Graphs
- Traditional Family Values
- We're In For A Scary Halloween (If You Listen to the Population Controllers)
- Take Good Care of Your Health Care Records - Or the Government Will!
- China's One-Child Policy Toll Reaches 400 Million
- Catholic Bishops Weigh Into Budget Debate
- Latest PRI Video Shows Collapse of Russia
- "Understanding" Joe Biden Perfects the Kowtow
- U.N. Climate Models Flawed - Grossly Exaggerate Warming Effect
- Weekly Briefing: 2010 (v12)
- Fourth Episode of Overpopulation Cartoon Series
- Turner Calls for Global One-Child Policy
- Love and HIV/AIDS
- Pope Benedict Misquoted on Condoms -- Again
- Planned Parenthood Wants to Abort Us into Prosperity
- As Elections Draw Near, PRI Releases Groundbreaking Video
- Does Obamacare Fund Abortion? Let Us Count the Ways.
- Islamic Terrorism and Fertility
- China's Thirty Years War Against its Own People Slated to Continue
- Time to Pay an "End-of-Life Visit" to ObamaCare
- PRI Updates Web Site, Releases New Video
- Radical Environmentalists Disclaim Responsibility for Eco-Terrorist James Lee
- A Farce: The UN's World Youth Conference
- After Passage of Pro-Abortion Constitution, Kenyan Bishops Urge Immediate Amendment
- The United Nations must love Catholics, we give them their best ideas.
- Weekly Briefing: 2009 (v11)
- In His Push for Socialized Medicine, Harry Reid Trashes the Hyde Amendment
- Global Warming Science? Nope, Global Warming Scam.
- Senator Max Baucus Wants to Teach Your Kids About Sex
- Blasted Ovaries: The Failure of Contraceptive Vaccines
- The Overpopulation Movement Struggles to Stay Relevant
- What's Next for the Pro-Life Movement in Health Care Reform?
- Sneak Attack on the Mexico City Policy
- Spain Awakens Against Abortion
- Merck Researcher Admits: Gardasil Guards Against Almost Nothing
- With 19 You Get Heaven
- Population Control to Combat Climate Change?
- Illegal Abortion Hot-Lines: A New Attack on the Unborn
- Obama to Seniors: Take Two Aspirin and Call Me When You're Dead
- Washington Feels the Wrath of Pro-Life Voters
- People Are The Enemy
- Weekly Briefing: 2008 (v10)
- Doug Kmiec's Departure from the Pro-Life Movement
- The Huffington Post Gets It Wrong--Again
- Abortion and Intolerance: Constants of the Left?
- China Frees Pregnant Mom after International Outcry
- Executive (Dis)Orders: Pro-life Policies Set to be Jettisoned
- Payback Time: What Planned Parenthood Expects from Obama
- Killing The Economy: Dennis Howard's "Elephant In The Living Room"
- How to Sell Out Your Country With Just One Word
- Is Immigration the Answer to the Current Economic Crisis?
- Wisconsin Offers "Free" Birth Control -- with Your Money
- USAID Denies Funding to Abortion Group Implicated in Forced Abortions and Sterilizations in China; PRI Applauds Action
- A New Front in the Abortion Wars
- Cyclebeads: The UNFPA Discovers Natural Family Planning, Sort Of
- Sarah Palin, An American Original
- "Kids: Your Time Is Up" -- Global Warming Game Targets Vulnerable Youngsters
- Weekly Briefing: 2007 (v09)
- Preserving Parental Rights in Panama
- Saving the Mexico City Policy
- How Family Planning Programs Cause Sex-Selective Abortion, Female Infanticide, and Other Forms of Ch
- Patrick Carroll's Research and the ABC Link Debate
- What Women Want (Hint: Not Reproductive Health Care)
- Fighting for Our Rights
- Reproductive Health Mortality
- House Democrats Stage Hearing on the Mexico City Policy
- Gender Equity and the Demeaning of Men's Issues
- The Obstetric Fistula Fallacy
- Chimeras, Great Britian, and the Brave New World
- Are There Too Many Columbians
- US Bishops Issue a New CALL to Latinos
- HillaryCare, 2.0
- HIV/AIDS: Western Failure and Ugandan Success
- Weekly Briefing: 2006 (v08)
- Irish Exceptionalism at an End?
- Suicide of the West?
- 300 Million and Immigration: Separating the Issues
- A Cut for Population Control Money?
- 300 Million, Social Security, and Solvency
- Pro-Life Politics
- The Small Problem of Suburban Sprawl
- Three Hundred Million and Counting
- Abortion the Cheap Easy Way
- Life in the News
- Restricting Women's Rights
- FDA Prepares Sell-Out on MAP
- Senate Democrats'Make-Believe on Girls' Abortions
- Kinder, Gentler Genocide in Mongolia
- World Population Aging 2006
- Weekly Briefing: 2005 (v07)
- What Mexican Women Want
- Will making pregnancy profitable save Italy from demographic destruction?
- House Takes an Interest in the RU-486 Poison Pill
- Getting U.S. Out of Abortion
- Time for a RU-486 Rollback
- A Feast for Life
- More Smiles for Scalito
- Abuse of Chinese Women and Children
- France's End
- Smiles for Scalito
- Abortion Doubters at the Washington Post?
- Mostly the Same, But UNFPA Discovers Fatherlessness
- UN AIDS Envoy Cant Stomach Abstinence
- Living the Gospel of Life Down Under
- Pro-Abortion Court Revolution Targets Colombia
- Weekly Briefing: 2004 (v06)
- Unlike Europe's, U.S. Population Continues to Grow--And in the Right Places
- Abortion by Other Means
- China's Persecution of Women and Children: More of the Same
- Canada Cuts off Chinese Women's Freedom in Order to Spite America's Face
- Would Legalization Reduce Abortion in Latin America?
- The Conscience Protection Amendment and NARAL's "D"
- The Abortion Pill Can Kill Mothers, Too
- Will Families Benefit from Tax Reform?
- The Unacceptable Arlen Specter
- How to Reduce the Number of Abortions (Hint:
- UNICEF: The Mask is Off!
- Secularism's Demographic Conundrum
- Despite Bumper Harvests, Lester Brown's Sky is Still Falling
- Peruvian Congress could punish prolife congressmen.
- Media Reports: Depo Provera Is Hazardous to your Health
- Weekly Briefing: 2003 (v05)
- Exposing Domestic Abortion Strategies
- New Revision Points to Underpopulation Crisis
- PRI needs your help for continued success in 2004
- The Coming Demographic Victory
- In Thanksgiving to God for People
- People: the Greatest Unmet Need
- Gates, Microsoft Urged by Shareholders to Cease Making Charitable Contributions
- President Bush Signs Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act of 2003
- The BBC's Method of HIV/AIDS Prevention
- Judge Robert Bork in Lincoln Nebraska
- USAID-funded FHI Exploits Women
- Population Control on our Shores
- The Two Sides of the Culture of Death
- Secretary Powell Cuts $25 Million More from UNFPA
- USAID Undercuts U.S. Global HIV/AIDS Initiative
- Weekly Briefing: 2002 (v04)
- Casting Lotts and Throwing Stones in the U.S. Congress
- Bush vs. Bangkok, Abortion as 'Reproductive Health'
- UK Pro-Aborts Seek to CHANGE Peruvian Health Policy
- UNFPA Seeks Drinking Friends to Fund Forced Abortion
- Condom Kingdom Deflated by Failure (Are You Listening, Bill?)
- USAID "Shifts" Focus to More Aggressive Population Policy for the Philippines
- Making "Reproductive Rights" (Read: Abortion) a Relic of the Past
- Broken Promises: Reproductive Rights Agenda Betrays Women and Children
- EU to Increase UNFPA Funding? Not so Fast!
- UNFPA Admits it Has No Way to Monitor China's Forced Abortion Population Program
- Graduating Countries from Population Control
- Foreign Aid in a Grown Up World
- ABOUT FACE: Norplant Victim Sues Wyeth, OBGYN for $120 Million
- How to Save Lives with $34 Million
- Project Afghanistan: A Situation Report
- Weekly Briefing: 2001 (v03)
- Urgent Action Alert! Call on President Bush to Zero-Fund UNFPA
- UNFPA Whitewashes Forced Abortion in China
- Hillary Clinton Forces Abortion Rights Agenda on Afghan Women
- Pro-Family Groups Condemn UNFPA
- Abortion Zealots Threaten Afghan Women
- Muslims Shocked by Western-led 'Genocide' in Refugee Camps
- UNFPA Hides Coercion Behind a Green Front
- An open letter from Steven W. Mosher to Thoraya Obaid, Executive Director of the United Nations Popu
- PRI Investigation of UNFPA Prompts Hearing on Forced Abortion in China
- UNFPA Supports Coercive Family Planning—Including Forced Abortion—In China (and PRI Has
- Abortion Group Targets Vulnerable Victims of Terror
- China's Role in Osama bin Laden's 'Holy War' On America
- America's Frozen Population
- What African Women Want (not "Reproductive Health Care")
- About Face
- Weekly Briefing: 2000 (v02)
- What the Abortion-Breast Cancer Link Means for Women in the Developing World
- Executive Orders to Save Lives
- Heedless of Demographic Dangers, Beijing Pushes Ahead with One-Child Policy
- Amend U.S. China Policy
- United in Opposing People
- RU 486 and Our Ties to China
- Abortion and Population Control
- Drowning Babies in Dollars
- AIDS and Population Control In Africa
- Family Planning Costs Lives
- Another Country
- Population Growth and its Enemies
- Immigration verus Population Control
- Land of the Setting Sun
- The Ordeal of Chinese Mothers Continues: New Evidence of Massive Female Infanticide
- Weekly Briefing: 1999 (v01)
- Planned Giving
- Depopulation Strikes New England
- Albright Scrambles to Appease Population Control Allies
- Wei Jingsheng Calls for Democracy in America
- UNFPA Bribes Kosovo Gynecologist
- Chinese Freedom Fighters to Meet at Historical Summit Conference
- Population Control and the New Global Racism
- Welcome Baby Six Billion!
- UNFPA Spokesman Lies About Milosevic Partnership to Preserve US Funding
- Know Your Rights!
- Feminist Rights Agenda Storms United Nations
- When Family Planning Is Ethnic Cleansing
- New York Post Faults UN Agency for Ethnic Cleansing of Albanians
- Reversing Itself, UNFPA Admits Ties to Milosevic Regime
- Disney Continues to Propagandize 'Myth of Overpopulation' in Public Schools